sexta-feira, outubro 12, 2007

What´s next? Facebook versus LinkedIn

What’s next? Facebook vs. Linked In

Valleywag today compares Facebook vs. Linked In. I’ve been thinking about the same thing lately. I have hundreds of emails waiting to be answered (I answered a bunch yesterday, but it just caused MORE email to come back in so now I’m behind again — thankfully I’ll be offline in a plane headed to a BEA event in Atlanta so I’ll have lots of time to answer emails). But a good portion of those emails include invitations from Facebook and Linked In. Last week I met an executive in Facebook and they are adding a million new users every week (which represents about 3.3% growth every week — extremely rapid growth, in other words).

Facebook already turned down a $1 billion offer from Yahoo. Why did they do that? Because they know that the advertising market is heating up. MySpace sold for less than that, but in a deal with Google alone got all that money back and more. Facebook is sitting on a gold mine.

I don’t like Linked In (high profile bloggers who put their email and cell phone number on their blog don’t need to join reputation networks to get jobs and other stuff) but I must admit that it is rocking and rolling and speeding up in adoption, not slowing down. I’m very impressed by the job (and the quality of people they’ve gotten to join their system).

My LinkedIn and Facebook requests are not just from people I don’t know. CEOs, CTOs, etc from tons of companies are joining both. Kevin Rose and I had dinner a few days back and he personally begged me to join Facebook. I still haven’t, cause I need fewer things in my life, not more. Twitter dramatically took down my productivity (I’ve been spending less time there trying to get things done) and until I have no emails in my inbox I can’t join new things. But I can stand back and admit my awe of what they’ve done in the marketplace.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Facebook goes public or gets sold for more than $3 billion. They are sitting on a gold mine.

“But Scoble, what if they turn out to be like PointCast?” That’s what several people have asked me when we’ve talked about this. Well, I was on PointCast for two weeks early on. I quit it fast because it tried to lock me in and wouldn’t let me link to articles on it and wouldn’t let me copy text from it. That caused me to start badmouthing it to my friends.

Facebook doesn’t have those problems. All I see is positive growth for it. Linked In does get some negative feelings cause of the email stream it causes, but that’s pretty easily solvable and sure hasn’t slowed down its growth the way I thought it might.

Do you agree or disagree?

Sem comentários: